Poppies / Mohnblumen (Marimekko)


This month's theme for the amateur nail art contest at The Crumpet is flowers, which I find very appropriate. It's finally starting to look like spring out there, there's a pair of birds building a nest in the back yard and it hasn't snowed in at least five days. (Seriously, it's been ridiculous this year with the snow.)
Now I'm slowly beginning to think that maybe, just maybe, it's going to stick this time and the budding flowers everywhere won't freeze to death.

Diesen Monat sind Blumen das Thema der Amateur-Nageldesign-Challenge bei The Crumpet.
Sehr passend, denn langsam scheint der Frühling ja doch zu kommen, die Sonne scheint, im Hinterhof nistet ein Vogelpärchen und es hat seit mindestens 5 Tagen nicht geschneit. 

Ich hoffe, es bleibt diesmal so und die Blumen, die sich endlich aus dem Boden trauen, erfrieren nicht. In meinem Kopf spielt gerade "Da kummt die Sunn'" von STS - ja, es war ein langer, kalter Winter.


I ended up picking a summer flower, not a spring flower, but that's because the fabric I wanted to recreate features poppies, which also happen to be one of my favourite flowers... ever since seeing the beautiful illustration of Dorothy falling asleep in the poppy fields in my grandparents' old The Wizard of Oz book as a kid. (Also: poppy seed cakes. Best thing ever.)

Für mein Design hab ich allerdings keine Frühlings- sondern Sommerblumen gewählt, was daran liegt, dass ich mein Design einem Stoff nachempfinden wollte, und zwar dem Mohnblumendesign von Marimekko.
Klatschmohn zählt zu meinen Lieblingsblumen; schon als Kind war ich von der wunderschönen Illustration in einer alten Ausgabe des Zauberers von Oz fasziniert, in der Dorothy im Mohnfeld schläft. (Und ich liebe auch alle möglichen Süßspeisen mit Mohn... sowas von lecker!)

I mentioned that this is based on a fabric: the iconic Finnish design classic by Marimekko, called "Unikko", which means "poppy". The link above is to the company's website, but without any intention of promoting it (though I will say that I'm a huge fan of their products - especially the bags... oh, the bags...). It's the fabric at the top right of the page in that link, which shows the colour scheme I used (I believe it's the original) and also has a few sentences on the history of the design. 
It's just such a fun fabric, playful yet stylish with that effortless elegance that is so typical of Scandinavian design - and as you can see, I'm crazy enough about it to even have coasters with the print.

Wie gesagt habe ich mich vom finnischen Designklassiker "Unikko" ("Mohnblume") der Firma Marimekko inspirieren lassen. Der Link oben führt zur Firmenwebseite, soll allerdings nicht als Werbung verstanden werden (obgleich ich zugeben muss, dass ich total auf ihre Produkte stehe - vor allem die Taschen... oh, diese Taschen...). Oben rechts seht ihr den Stoff in dem Farbschema, das ich verwendet habe (meines Wissen das Original) und eine kurze Info über die Designgeschichte. 
Ich liebe diesen Stoff, er ist so schön verspielt und dennoch stilvoll, mit dieser mühelosen Eleganz die man bei skandinavischem Design so oft sieht. Wie ihr seht hab ich sogar Glasuntersetzer im Mohnblumendesign...

right hand - dotting tools
I did the design on my right hand with dotting tools and a fine brush on a white background. I did this with my non-dominant left hand, so I'm doubly pleased about how it worked out. 
It was my second try though - the previous night I did my left hand, but with brushes instead of dotting tools. That turned out quite nice too, but when I woke up the next day and meant to take daylight photos, it had bubbled something horrible - I assume I had residue from my cuticle oil on there, I can't think of any other reason. 
So then I did the right hand, using a dotting tool mainly because I don't have the coordination for fine brushwork in my left hand, and it turned out much nicer. It has the effortless "just splashing around here" feel of the original fabric.  (I've added a pic of the left hand for comparison, sorry about the lack of cleanup on the thumb).

left hand - done with brushes
Die Blumen auf meiner rechten Hand hab ich mit verschiedenen Dotting Tools und einem feinen Pinsel auf einem weißen Untergrund gemacht. Ich bin Rechtshänderin, deshalb freu ich mich besonders, dass es so gut geklappt hat.
Eigentlich war das mein zweiter Versuch - am Vorabend hatte ich das Design auf meiner linken Hand versucht, allerdings mit Pinseln statt Dotting Tools. Das sah auch nicht schlecht aus, aber als ich dann am nächsten Tag Fotos machen wollte, merkte ich, dass es entsetzlich viele Bläschen geschlagen hatte. Ich schätze Mal, da war noch Nagelöl an den Nägeln, anders kann ich mir das nicht erklären.
Also startete ich auf meiner anderen Hand einen zweiten Versuch. Das Dotting Tool wählte ich eigentlich aus praktischen Überlegungen - mit der Linken hab ich nicht die notwendige Koordination, um mit feinen Pinseln komplizierte Sachen zu malen - aber das Ergebnis war viel schöner als beim ersten Mal. Es hat mehr vom mühelosen "ich kleckse hier einfach mal rum"-Feeling des Originals. (Zum Vergleich seht ihr hier auch noch die linke Hand, am Daumen hatte ich den überschüssigen Lack noch nicht weggeputzt, tut mir leid.




 Polishes used/Verwendete Lacke:

LOOK Nail tattoo liner black
iQ cosmetics colour flash No. 155
LOOK Nail Quickie No 9 (hot love)
Catrice For Bright Guys
s-he No. 115



Einen wunderschönen Frühlingsbeginn!
Euer Nagelnewbie, ganz in Frühlingsstimmung


Have a very happy spring!
The spring fevery nail newbie







2 comments:

  1. guess who's voting for you again ;)
    really like and think your non-dominant hand came out actually pretty good! I know I couldn't have done it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Glad you like it!
      I've always wanted to be ambidextrous, funny how it seems to be nail art that's finally pushing me to work on it ;)

      Delete

Hi! I love getting comments!
Comment moderation is enabled so your comment won't appear right away but at least you can be sure I read every single comment and try to answer them as fast as possible :)

Hallo! Ich freu mich sehr über jeden Kommentar!
Da sie moderiert sind, erscheinen sie nicht sofort, aber dafür könnt ihr euch sicher sein, dass ich auch jeden einzelnen lese :) Ich werd so schnell wie möglich darauf antworten.

Copyright © 2013 To boldly polish and Blogger Templates - Anime OST.
Social media icons (except gfc) by

Photobucket